Our Elf on the Shelf, Gum Drop, is such a hit in my home. Every morning Neacel comes running down the stairs reminding me that we have to find Gum Drop. Moods have been better, listening has been amazing, and I will be extremely sad to see him leave. One thing I do is move him around the area the kids found him that morning...he might be found hanging on a picture, a couple of hrs later when kids are playing upstairs, I move him to the lamp. It helps that my oldest thinks he is moving around when we aren't looking. Neacel no longer thinks he is fake...thank goodness for the movie Toy Story! I will admit, when 11pm rolls around and I haven't thought about what Gum Drop will do that night I want to throw a fit. It's late and I'm tired, I don't want to think of something clever at that point. Gum Drop showed up on the 1st of Dec during naps and has been a family friend since and I have been able to come up with some fun thing for him to do. Here is a little list of 15 simple ideas that we have done, or that I plan on doing:
2. Have him write the kids a note. I did this after a horrible day. The note explained that Santa was sad and because they were naughty that they needed to do something nice for 2 people in order to get on the Nice list again. My oldest is coloring pictures for a friend and his Sunday school teacher...plus some cookies for them too. He has even talked about doing something nice for everyone he knows (YES! This mom is proud of that!)
3. Dye milk green. North Pole Elf Milk, of course its from North Pole cows
4. Hide him in the Christmas shelf display. I have a ton of Christmas things on a shelf, we just hid him and told the boys he is probably playing hide n seek
5. Draw on pictures with a dye erase marker.
6. Cut out snowflakes and hang them around the living room, or you can use extra Christmas tree ornaments.
7. Wrap pictures for Christmas. Glad the elf will do this and not me....sigh.
8. Snowball fight with action guys and barbies (mini marshmallows)
9. Bring special cups from the North Pole (.87 at Walmart, Christmas cups) fill with hot cocoa packets and marshmallows.
10. Snow Angel in powdered sugar
11. TP the Christmas tree (I can't wait for this one)
12. Red party streamers in front of their bedroom doors so they have to break through (Do on Christmas morning)
13. Roast marshmallows over a candle. (Obviously, roast when kids are sleeping keep on tooth pick and blow out candle. We don't want a fire!)
14. Red lipstick on noses while sleeping....you have been Rudolphed! Every participates, even you and husbands!
15. Empty ice cream container in the freezer, while the elf is sitting next to it with a spoon. Elves love ice cream!
These are simple oops I forgot ideas of mine. If you want to see what else I come up with follow me on instagram: MandyBurt86. I post my Gum Drop elf ideas everyday.
I love what Gum Drop has done to my kids so far and we still have about 2 weeks left with him. I think I need to come up with something for the rest of the year, maybe an angel?